Fresh basil flavors every spoonful of this smooth soup that can be served warm or chilled. The leeks offer a more subtle taste than onions, but either will work. Try this bisque with a low-fat grilled cheese sandwich on whole-grain bread for a light lunch.
Servings 8, Serving Size 3/4 cup, Prep Time 20 minutes, Cooking Time 25 minutes
- 1 cup fat-free, low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth, divided use
- 2 medium leeks (white part only), thinly sliced, or 1/2 cup sliced onion
- 1 small rib of celery, diced
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 lb tomatoes
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh basil
- 1/2 cup fat-free half-and-half
- In a large saucepan, stir together 1/2 cup broth, the leeks, celery, garlic, salt, and pepper. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Remove from the heat. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- In a food processor or blender (vent the blender lid), process the leek mixture for about 1 minute, or until smooth. Return the leek mixture to the pan. Keep warm over low heat (uncovered).
- Fill a small saucepan half-full with cold water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium high. Cut a small X on the bottom of each tomato so the skin will loosen more easily. Put 2 tomatoes in the saucepan. Simmer for 10 seconds, or until the peel starts to loosen from the flesh. Transfer to a cutting board. Repeat with the remaining tomatoes. Let the tomatoes cool for a few minutes. Remove the peel. Cut the tomatoes into four wedges each.
- In a food processor or blender, process the tomatoes and the remaining 1/2 cup broth in batches until smooth, about 1 minute per batch. Before processing the last batch, add the basil.
- Stir the tomato mixture into the leek mixture. Increase the heat to medium high and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, for 8–10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the half-and-half. Cook over low heat for 1–2 minutes, or until the soup is heated through, stirring occasionally. Serve warm or refrigerate in an airtight container until chilled.
|Calories from Fat||10|
|Total Fat||1 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||10 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|
|Added Sugar||0 g|
This recipe is from Diabetes & Heart-Healthy Recipes published by the American Diabetes Association. ©2019 American Diabetes Association and the American Heart Association. All rights reserved. Available at ShopDiabetes, ShopHeart, and local retailers nationwide.