There is no substitute for a true Cuban sandwich, but this recipe is a light, delicious take on the classic. Add a green salad on the side for a quick-and-easy lunch. Look for low-fat, low-sodium deli meats (uncured, nitrate/nitrite-free) and cheeses when shopping.
Serves: 2, Serving Size: 1/2 sandwich and 1/2 salad
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 18 minutes
- 1 multigrain sandwich thin, split in half
- 1 1/2 oz low-fat sliced Swiss Cheese
- 2 oz sliced avocado
- 1 1/2 oz no-salt-added deli-style roasted turkey breast (uncured, nitrate/nitrite-free)
- 1 1/2 oz lower-sodium lean sliced deli ham (uncured, nitrate/nitrite-free)
- 1/2 cup baby arugula
- 1/2 Roma tomato, sliced
- 1/8 cup sliced red onion
- 1/8 cup sliced cucumber
- 2 tsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1/8 tsp cracked black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place both halves of the sandwich thin (with the inside up) on the baking sheet. Layer as follows on the bottom thin: Swiss cheese, avocado, turkey, and ham. Bake for 12 minutes. Remove from the oven. Place the top thin on the sandwich.
- Preheat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Transfer the sandwich to the center of the skillet. Using a spatula or the bottom of a saucepan, press down on the sandwich. Turn over the sandwich. Repeat the pressing (to create the look of a traditional Cuban sandwich). Cut the sandwich in half.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the salad ingredients. Serve the salad with the sandwich.
1/2 Starch, 1/2 Carbohydrate, 2 Lean Protein, 1 Fat
|Calories from Fat||90|
|Total Fat||10 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||4.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||16 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|
|Added Sugars||1 g|
This recipe (adapted from Sabores de Cuba by Chef Ronaldo Linares, published by the American Diabetes Association) is from Diabetes and Heart-Healthy Recipes published by the American Diabetes Association. ©2019 American Diabetes Association and the American Heart Association. All rights reserved. Available at ShopDiabetes and ShopHeart.