An aromatic spice rub cooks into a rich paste that penetrates deep into the turkey breast. This turkey is great year-round or served as the centerpiece for a holiday feast with roasted sweet potatoes and a green vegetable.
Printer Friendly Version
Serving Size: 3 oz turkey
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice, 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg, or 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 (5-lb) turkey breast with bone and skin
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Lightly spray a roasting pan and baking rack with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, stir together all the ingredients except the turkey.
- Put the turkey on a cutting board or flat work surface. Carefully loosen the skin from the turkey breast by gently inserting your fingers between the skin and the meat, making a pocket for the orange zest mixture. Don’t break the skin. Discard any fat beneath the skin. Still working carefully, spread the orange zest mixture under the loosened skin as well as possible. Transfer the turkey to the rack in the pan.
- Roast the turkey for 1 hour 45 minutes, or until it registers 170°F–175°F on an instant-readthermometer inserted into the thickest part. Be sure the thermometer doesn’t touch the bone. Remove the turkey from the oven.
- Let the turkey stand for 15 minutes. Discard the skin and all visible fat before slicing.
3 Lean Protein
| Calories from Fat
| Saturated Fat
| Trans Fat
| Polyunsaturated Fat
| Monounsaturated Fat
| Dietary Fiber
| Added Sugar
This recipe is from Diabetes & Heart-Healthy Recipes published by the American Diabetes Association. ©2019 American Diabetes Association and the American Heart Association. All rights reserved. Available at ShopDiabetes and ShopHeart.