With no crust needed, this quiche is so simple to prepare. Sweet grape tomatoes help create a nice balance of flavors and textures and add a striking color contrast with the bright green asparagus. Perfect for breakfast on its own, or serve it for lunch or dinner with a salad of mixed greens.
Printer Friendly Version
Serving Size: 1 slice ( 1⁄4 quiche)
Prep Time: 10 min
Cooking Time: 40 min
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon canola or corn oil
- 10 ounces asparagus, trimmed and cut diagonally into 2-inch pieces
- 4 medium green onions, chopped
- 12 grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup fat-free milk or fat-free evaporated milk
- 4 large egg whites
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard (lowest sodium available)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded or grated low-fat cheddar or Colby cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly spray a 9-inch glass pie pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook the asparagus and green onions for 4–5 minutes, or until soft. Arrange the asparagus mixture and the tomatoes in the pie pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients except the cheese. Pour the mixture over the vegetables. Sprinkle with the cheese.
- Bake for 30–35 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the quiche cool for about 10 minutes before slicing.
2 Vegetable, 2 Lean Protein
| Calories from Fat
| Saturated Fat
| Trans Fat
| Polyunsaturated Fat
| Monounsaturated Fat
| Dietary Fiber
| Added Sugar
This recipe is from Diabetes & Heart-Healthy Recipes
published by the American Diabetes Association. ©2019 American Diabetes Association and the American Heart Association. All rights reserved. Available at ShopDiabetes