Know Diabetes by Heart™ Professional Education Podcast Series focuses on the link between cardiovascular disease (CVD) and type 2 diabetes (T2D). The series will consist of relevant cutting-edge topics such as up-to-date standards of care, guidelines and their implications for T2D and CVD, and approaches to shared decision making — among other topics.
- Episode 7 – Benefits of Diabetes Educator ReferralsJune 21, 2019Diabetes education has positive effects not only on psychosocial and behavioral aspects of diabetes care, but also known to be a cost-effective treatment by reducing hospital readmissions and lowered risk for complications. Yet, many patients often do not receive DSMES (Diabetes Self-Management Education and Support) referrals. Listen to Nancy D’Hondt, a certified diabetes educator and registered pharmacist, Dr. Lillian Khor, a cardiologist and Dr. Jay Shubrook, an osteopathic family physician, discuss how they work with CDEs and the benefits found from referring patients to diabetes self-management programs and a certified diabetes educator.
- Episode 6 – Diabetes and Heart FailureJune 11, 2019Identifying and implementing optimal treatment strategies for patients living with diabetes and heart failure is critical to improving outcomes for this population. Shannon Dunlay, MD, MS discusses managing patients with diabetes who are at risk for heart failure or those that have heart failure. This podcast is based on the new scientific statement from the American Heart Association and the Heart Failure Society of America.
- Episode 5 – ASCVD Risk CalculatorApril 22, 2019The ASCVD Risk Calculator is a tool that enables healthcare providers and patients to estimate 10-year risk for atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease or ASCVD. Salim Virani, MD discusses the ASCVD risk calculator and why this assessment needs to be performed in patients with diabetes.
- Episode 4 – Shared Decision-MakingMarch 29, 2019Shared decision-making is an effective approach to ensure patient and family involvement in decision-making and tailoring of treatment plans to meet goals. Jay Shubrook, DO, Robert Eckel, MD, and Patricia Montesinos, CRNP, CDE discuss how to interview and bring their patients to a collaborative discussion and joint treatment plan.
- Episode 3 – American Heart Association’s 2018 Cholesterol Guidelines and the Implications for Type 2 DiabetesJanuary 10, 2019For people with diabetes, blood glucose isn’t the only important factor to track. New guidelines suggest the more than 110 million U.S. adults with diabetes or prediabetes should also manage their cholesterol as well as their blood glucose. Drs. Ronald Goldberg and Robert Eckel discuss the new American Heart Association’s 2018 Cholesterol Guidelines, released in November 2018 and the implications for type 2 diabetes along with pharmacotherapy and lifestyle interventions.
- Episode 2 – Management and Treatment of Diabetes to Prevent CardiovascularDecember 17, 2018In a recent survey of people age 45 and older with T2D, only about half recognize their risk or have discussed their risk for heart attacks or strokes with their healthcare providers. Drs. Christopher Cannon and Ronald Goldberg will discuss the management and treatment of diabetes to prevent cardiovascular disease in the new American Diabetes Association’s 2019 Standards of Care.
- Episode 1 – Know Diabetes by Heart™Initiative DiscussionNovember 8, 2018More than 30 million American adults have diagnosed or undiagnosed diabetes, putting them at risk for having cardiovascular disease. Dr. Eduardo Sanchez from the American Heart Association and Dr. William Cefalu from the American Diabetes Association discuss the link between CVD and T2D.
- Episode 7 – Benefits of Diabetes Educator Referrals