Health systems can improve outcomes in treating type 2 diabetes patients.
In the U.S., every 80 seconds an adult with diabetes is hospitalized for heart disease and every 2 minutes an adult with diabetes is hospitalized for stroke. Our nation’s health systems represent the front line in helping manage diabetes and associated cardiovascular disease risk.
Make an impact
The Know Diabetes by Heart™ initiative supports quality improvement efforts by engaging directly with hospitals and outpatient clinics to better serve patients with diabetes and cardiovascular disease.
Join the American Heart Association and the American Diabetes Association in comprehensively combating the national public health impact of type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease by:
- Supporting health care providers in educating their patients living with type 2 diabetes on cardiovascular risk and increasing their patients’ engagement in prevention of cardiovascular deaths, heart attacks and strokes.
- Helping us raise awareness and understanding of the link between diabetes and cardiovascular disease.
- Positively empowering people to better manage their risk for cardiovascular disease, heart attacks and strokes.
- AHA and ADA Diabetes Science
- AHA/ADA Joint Science Statement
- ADA Standards of Care
- ADA Dynamic Journal Articles
- 2013 ACC/AHA Guideline on the Assessment Cardiovascular Risk
- AHA/ACC/AACVPR/AAPA/ABC/ACPM/ADA/AGS/APhA/ASPC/NLA/PCNA Guideline on the Management of Blood Cholesterol
- 2017 ACC/AHA/AAPA/ABC/ACPM/AGS/APhA/ASH/ASPC/NMA/PCNA Guideline for the Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Management of High Blood Pressure in Adults: A Report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Clinical Practice Guidelines
- Professional Education
- While the AHA Guidelines and the ADA’s Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes were developed independently from Know Diabetes by Heart™, the initiative offers webinars and other non-CME education for health care providers, including professional podcast series, tools and resources to support adherence to guidelines and a tracking survey for providers. Additionally, health care providers can download the AHA Guidelines-on-the-Go mobile app and the ADA’s Standards of Care mobile app.
- Quality Improvement
- AHA’s Get With the Guidelines® programs and ADA’s Diabetes INSIDE™ initiative are designed to help health systems better apply clinical guidelines and use their data to continually measure and monitor care processes over time and to use these insights to inform constant and deliberate change to improve the lives of the patients they serve. Learn more about quality improvement efforts and how to engage.
- The Know Diabetes by Heart™ Roll-Out and Implementation Guide provides guidance and resources to seamlessly incorporate the Know Diabetes by Heart initiative into your current health system activities. This initiative is intended to be flexible and can be adapted to support the unique needs of your health system. Download and get started.
- Consumer Resources
*Continue to check back for new and updated resources to enhance your campaign implementation!