Serve this multipurpose dish warm, at room temperature, or cold as a dessert, salad, or side.
Servings 2, Serving Size 1 pear half with 1 Tbsp sauce, Prep Time 10 minutes, Cooking Time 6 minutes
- 1/3 cup 100% pomegranate juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 medium pear, peeled, halved, and cored
- 1/4 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, dry-roasted, crumbled
- In a small saucepan, stir together the pomegranate juice and sugar. Add the pear halves with the cut side down. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes, or until tender, turning occasionally. Remove from the heat. Leaving the liquid in the pan, transfer the pear halves with the cut side up to dessert plates.
- Put the cornstarch in a small bowl. Add the water, stirring to dissolve the cornstarch. Pour into the saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking constantly. Boil for 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Stir in the lemon zest and vanilla. Spoon over the pears. Sprinkle with the almonds.
1 1/2 Fruit, 1/2 Fat
|Calories from Fat||25|
|Total Fat||3 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||22 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|
|Added Sugar||4 g|
This recipe is from Diabetes & Heart-Healthy Recipes published by the American Diabetes Association. ©2019 American Diabetes Association and the American Heart Association. All rights reserved. Available at ShopDiabetes and ShopHeart.