Tender baked fish fillets are topped with a sauce that starts with the “holy trinity” of onion, celery, and bell pepper, then builds flavor with the addition of tomatoes, green onions, capers, and a touch of hot-pepper sauce. Serve this with brown or wild rice and a dark green leafy salad.
Servings 4, Serving Size 3 oz fish and 1/2 cup sauce, Prep Time 20 minutes, Cooking Time 20 minutes
- Cooking spray
- 4 halibut fillets with skin (about 5 oz each), rinsed and patted dry
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1/2 medium ribs of celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup diced grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoon capers, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoon light tub margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon red hot-pepper sauce, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Place the fish with the skin side down on the baking sheet. Bake for 18–20 minutes, or until the fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.
- Meanwhile, lightly spray a large skillet with cooking spray. Cook the onion, bell pepper, celery, thyme, and garlic over medium-high heat for 3 minutes, or until the onion is soft, stirring occasionally.
- Stir the tomatoes, green onions, and capers into the bell pepper mixture. Cook for 2 minutes, or until the tomatoes are soft, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover to keep warm.
- When the fish is cooked, transfer it to serving plates. Spoon the bell pepper mixture over the fish.
2 Vegetable, 4 Lean Protein
|Calories from Fat||60|
|Total Fat||7 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||2.5 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||2.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||11 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|
|Added Sugar||0 g|
This recipe is from Diabetes & Heart-Healthy Recipes published by the American Diabetes Association. ©2019 American Diabetes Association and the American Heart Association. All rights reserved. Available at ShopDiabetes and ShopHeart.