This recipe takes its inspiration from an Indian kebab recipe that uses tender pieces of boneless mutton dipped in spices and egg wash, rolled in crumbs, and deep fried. Our healthier version keeps the flavorful spices, but it’s cooked on the grill instead.
Servings 6, Serving Size 1 kebab, Prep Time 1 hour, Marinating Time 3 hours, Cooking Time 8 minutes
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon crushed fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 green chile, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 18 oz lean sirloin steak, all visible fat discarded, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons sunflower oil, divided use
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, stems discarded and leaves chopped
- 1 medium lime, cut into wedges
- In a large shallow dish, stir together the marinade ingredients until well combined. Add the beef cubes, turning to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 2–3 hours, or up to 6 hours, stirring occasionally. Remove from the refrigerator. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before grilling.
- Meanwhile, soak six 6- to 8-inch wooden skewers for at least 10 minutes in cold water to keep them from charring, or use metal skewers. Preheat a cast iron griddle over medium-high heat or preheat an outdoor grill on medium high. Lightly brush the griddle or grill with ½ tsp oil to prevent the kebabs from sticking.
- Thread the steak cubes onto the skewers, leaving some space between the cubes. Brush with the remaining 1 1/2 tsp oil. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 tsp salt.
- Cook or grill the kebabs for about 4 minutes per side (8 minutes total). Serve hot. Sprinkle with the cilantro. Garnish with the lime wedges.
3 Lean Protein
|Calories from Fat||45|
|Total Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||1.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|
|Added Sugar||0 g|
This recipe by May Abraham Fridel and featured in Diabetes & Heart-Healthy Recipes published by the American Diabetes Association. ©2019 American Diabetes Association and the American Heart Association. All rights reserved. Available at ShopDiabetes, ShopHeart, and local retailers nationwide.