Call for Stories
Thank you for sharing your story with us! We’ll be in touch if you have been selected to move forward in the call for stories process. If you have any questions, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
VOICES OF KNOW DIABETES BY HEART™
CALL FOR STORIES
2019-2020 OFFICIAL RULES
- DESCRIPTION OF VOICES OF KNOW DIABETES BY HEART® CALL FOR STORIES: The Voices of Know Diabetes by HeartTM Call for Stories (the “Call”) is a volunteer-based initiative conducted by American Heart Association, Inc. and American Diabetes Association, Inc. (“AHA” and “ADA”) in support of its purpose to reduce cardiovascular death, heart attack and stroke in people living with type 2 diabetes. These rules (the “Rules”) apply to all participants. AHA and ADA shall make all determinations as to whether the Rules have been complied with, and the decision of AHA and ADA as to any issue is final.
- ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS: No purchase or donation is necessary to participate in the Voices Search. Participation is open only to legal residents of the 50 United States or the District of Columbia who are 18 years of age or older as of the date of entry. Employees of AHA, ADA and their immediate family members are not eligible to win and be selected as ambassadors.
- ENTRY GUIDELINES: Only one (1) entry per person is allowed:
Participants may submit entries to be selected to represent the AHA and ADA in its Know Diabetes by Heart (”KDBH”) initiative (the “Initiative”), which focuses on type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease and stroke, through participation as a national volunteer and spokesperson in the Voices of Know Diabetes by Heart Call for Stories (“Voices Search”) during 2019-2020 (hereinafter, participants selected by the AHA and ADA are referred to as “National KDBH Volunteers”). The Call seeks to find people across the country who are willing to share their personal experiences with type 2 diabetes and heart disease and/or stroke and the choices they make to live healthy lifestyles to represent the Initiative as a National KDBH Volunteer.
For this purpose, “immediate family” includes the spouse, parents, grandparents, great-grandparents, brothers, sisters, children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren of the employee and his/her spouse. This definition also includes a) “step” and adoptive relationships, b) individuals for whom an employee is the current legal guardian and c) individuals who are not legally related but who reside with an employee. THE CALL IS VOID WHERE PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW.
- Search Entry: Participants may enter online through KDBH’s website, knowdiabetesbyheart.org. To enter, participants must share a video story approximately 60 seconds in length or less relating to the participant’s experience with type 2 diabetes and heart disease or stroke and the people who have supported them throughout their health journey.
- Time: The Call starts at 12:01 a.m. (all times Central Time) on April 29, 2019 and ends at 11:59 p.m. on May 31, 2019 (the “Call Period”). All entries must be received during the Call Period.
- Selection: Following the close of the Call Period, up to twenty (20) semi-finalists will be contacted directly by AHA and/or ADA and notified that they have advanced. Semi-finalists shall complete a telephone interview where the ADA/AHA will ask the participant to identify one individual in their life to serve as a champion alongside them as a National KDBH Volunteer. The semi-finalists that advance will be notified of their selection via telephone and in writing no later than September 1, 2019.
- Prize: The Prize will consist of being a Voice of Know Diabetes by Heart Ambassador alongside one individual in their life who has served as a champion: a volunteer spokesperson of AHA and ADA for a period of up to one year. The estimated fair market value of the Prize is $1.00. The actual value may be more or less. The odds of winning are dependent on the number of entries. Multiple Voices of Know Diabetes by Heart Ambassadors may be selected in AHA and ADA’s discretion.
- CASTING CRITERIA: Online entries will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
25%: Story/substance: Inspiration to impact – what inspired them to share their story? How did they learn about their type 2 diabetes and their risk for heart disease and stroke? What was the impact? How do they engage in healthy living with type 2 diabetes? What struggles do they encounter to stay healthy? Who has supported them along the way?
25%: Personality: Are they engaging, captivating, shy, monotone, vibrant? How do they engage friends/family? Do they blog, share their story on social media or would they serve on a committee?
25%: Memorability: If a consumer were to see their story on TV or online, would they tell five friends about it? Is there anything about them that stands out?
25%: Diversity: Range of ages (40 – 70), geographies, ethnicity, stories, various cardiovascular conditions, various stages within the patient journey etc.
Submissions must not defame or invade the privacy rights of any person, living or deceased, or otherwise infringe upon any third party’s personal or proprietary rights. Submissions must be consistent with the AHA and ADA’s reputations. Submissions which, in the AHA and ADA’s discretion, contain any type of vulgarity or objectionable content will be disqualified. Submissions that do not meet these stated criteria, or submissions that in the AHA or ADA’s discretion technically meet the stated criteria but do not reflect the intent and/or the spirit of the provisions related to the Know Diabetes by Heart Initiative are not eligible.
- VOICES OF KNOW DIABETES BY HEART RESPONSIBILITIES – AHA and ADA: AHA and ADA may, at its sole discretion, provide the following opportunities to participants:
- Visibility as a national ambassador for the 2019-2020 KDBH initiative.
- Features on KDBH’s digital properties as well as the AHA and the ADA’s digital properties (KDBH.org, social media, etc.).
- Participation in interviews with media outlets.
- Possible participation at local and/or national events (subject to availability).
- Participation in KDBH ambassador photo and video shoot.
- VOICES OF KNOW DIABETES BY HEART RESPONSIBILITIES – AMBASSADOR: Participants acknowledge and agree that the participant has been fully advised by AHA and ADA that participation in Voices of Know Diabetes by Heart as a National KDBH Volunteer will involve revealing and being questioned about many areas of participant’s private, personal and public life and revelations in connection therewith, including, but not limited to private personal life experiences; confidences and secrets from birth to the present; personal relationships, confidences and secrets with family, friends, significant others, etc. (whether living or dead), including, without limitation, these third persons’ private, personal and public lives; physical appearance/habits; personal characteristics/habits; and medical treatment/history (both physical and mental). Participants acknowledge and agree that participants selected, including their identified champion, to serve as a National KDBH Volunteer may be subject to background checks which may disclose additional information about the participant such as educational and employment history; military history; criminal investigations charges and records, including, without limitation, history of violence against self and others; financial information/history; and personal views and opinions about life, the world, politics, religion, etc. Semi-finalists and finalists may be asked to enter into additional agreements by AHA and ADA that are required to continue in the selection process. Such agreements may include a release of liability in favor AHA and ADA.
- SCREENINGS: Participants acknowledge that the participant is in good physical and mental condition and is not aware of any health condition or other reason why the participant may not be able to participate in the Call. Participants further acknowledge that each participant and their supporter is voluntarily participating in the Call with full and complete knowledge of the risks associated with the foregoing, and participants accept and assume any and all risks, known or unknown of any nature whatsoever associated therewith.
- PARTICIPATION. Participants shall agree to the following in connection with participation in Voices of Know Diabetes by Heart Call for Stories:
- Comply with all of AHA and ADA’s instructions and regulations in connection with Voices of Know Diabetes by Heart Call for Stories in acknowledgment of AHA and ADA’s complete and exclusive financial and creative control of Know Diabetes by Heart initiative;
- Understand and accept that AHA and ADA’s decisions on all matters (including selection of National KDBH Volunteers) shall be final, and that if the Initiative is halted for any reason including an unforeseen or unexpected circumstance of any nature whatsoever affecting Voices of Know Diabetes by Heart Call for Stories, AHA and ADA’s decisions with respect to the handling of a resumption or termination of Voices of Know Diabetes by Heart shall be final;
- Understand and accept that if participant is selected as a National KDBH Volunteer, AHA and ADA have no obligation to exploit, telecast, publicize or otherwise continue to use Voices of Know Diabetes by Heart, or engage in any activity whatsoever regarding Voices of Know Diabetes by Heart and may terminate participation in Voices of Know Diabetes by Heart at any time, in the AHA and ADA’s discretion;
- Understand and accept that AHA and ADA may cancel Voices of Know Diabetes by Heart at any time.
- ASSIGNMENT OF RIGHTS: By submitting an entry for Voices of Know Diabetes by Heart, participants explicitly acknowledge and agree that AHA and ADA reserves the right to use the entry submissions and any and all related content, including but not limited to each participant’s name, likeness, voice, biography, personal characteristics, signature and other personal identification (collectively, “Participant’s Likeness”), and publish such materials and content in any media, including on AHA and/or ADA or other heath related web sites for online public viewing, for any purpose of any nature whatsoever, with or without first and last name credit to the participant without compensation and without notice. Entries that attempt to restrict this right will not be considered. All entries become the property of AHA and ADA, and AHA and ADA shall hold all copyright, ownership, title and right thereto.
- CONSIDERATION: Participants acknowledge and agree that participants shall receive no compensation for Participant’s submission to the Call or as a National KDBH Volunteer.
- ADDITIONAL RULES: If for any reason the Call, including the online portion, is not capable of running as planned, including disruptions caused by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures or any other cause that corrupts, affects or compromises the administration, security, fairness, integrity, proper conduct or intended play of the campaign, AHA and ADA reserves the right at its discretion to disqualify any individual AHA or ADA deems responsible and AHA or ADA further reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend Voices of Know Diabetes by Heart. AHA and ADA assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications failure, theft, destruction or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, entries, including any erroneous appearance of qualification for a prize. AHA and ADA is not responsible for any problem or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers or provider, computer equipment, software, failure of any e-mail or entry to be received by AHA or ADA due to technical problem or traffic, congestion on the internet or at any web site, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to participant’s or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participation or downloading any materials in this campaign.
WARNING: ANY ATTEMPT BY ANY PERSON TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEB SITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THIS CAMPAIGN IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
By participating in the Call, participants agree to release, discharge and hold harmless AHA, ADA and both their organizations directors, officers, employees and agents from and against any and all injuries, claims, losses, damages, actions and/or liability arising out of or in connection with, directly or indirectly, participation in and/or entry into the Call or acceptance, delivery, possession, use or misuse of any prize received in this Call.
Any personal information you provide for the Call is subject to AHA’s Privacy Statement (https://www.heart.org/en/about-us/statements-and-policies/privacy-statement#.VztxKU0UWUk). By entering the Call, each entrant agrees to the use of his or her personal information as described in the Privacy Statement and as outlined in these Official Rules.